Falling into September
OMG PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES. I don't really like those all that much, but damn you gotta have one. Fall isn't just a time go crazy with leaves and wear Uggs in 70-degree weather. For me, it's a season of renewal. September just reminds me of a fresh start. I think that's because of all the first days of school felt like a day to reinvent myself.
Jake and I had a long talk about my attitude lately and being so negative. Working so much and not having him home as much really takes a toll on my outlook on everything. I really want to dedicate the next month to taking care of myself because if I do that, everything around me tends to take care of itself. I start a new part time job this week, which is a little scary because I am going to be sacrificing a lot of my social time, but I think it’s going to be the best move for me and my goals right now.
I am really wanting to take step back on my social life and start focusing hard on doing what I love, stepping away toxic people that don't share goals similar to my own, securing my finances and my general wellbeing. I tend to focus way more on what other people are doing and how what I do might impact them, but this cannot be the case anymore. My time is for me and I need to do what I want to do, otherwise I'm always going to be the one left upset. I have actively watched Jake change his life over the last year without the concern of how it may impact others and we are the happiest we've ever been because he's so happy. Now it's now my turn.
Below I've listed some things I'm doing this fall to make it the best ever!
1. Being in nature for 20 minutes, every day that it's possible. I think it’s really important to spend time outside, especially during the season change. Nature helps you gain perspective on the bigger picture of what this life is really meant for. I truly love watching the seasons change, its a beautiful thing. Yessssss, I took this photo last year. I can't wait to get down to Lebanon and snap another this year.
2. Taking the time I need. This doesn't mean taking time off work or taking vacation. This simply means taking time out of each day to focus on reflection, relaxation and a moment to collect. This could mean taking time in the middle of the work day to step away from tasks or going to bed earlier because my body is telling me to.
I often feel like I need to have it together all of the time, and it’s just not possible. It's so important to listen to what your brain and your body are telling you. The email response can wait, the dishes can wait, the laundry can wait. Usually, it can wait. Take the time you need.
3. Pampering myself. I don't know about you (you just said "but I'm feeling 22" in your head, don't lie), but when I look like shit, I feel like shit. I don't like going to work with shitty makeup, unkempt hair and a poorly put together outfit. I feel like this happens a lot when I neglect to pamper myself for a good hour, 1-2 days a week. I love doing my fake tan, my nails, hair masks & face masks. It truly shows when I don't do this in the way I look and act towards others.
4. Light more candles & cuddle my puppy a lot more. When I think of fall, I think of lots of yummy candles and lots of puppy snugs. There isn't a lot of things I enjoy more than curling up in a big blanket with pup and watching a movie or reading a book. This is going to be a once a week necessity with another job on the line. No matter how busy you are, find a way to completely digress and turn your thoughts off. Get cozy, homie.
5. Removing toxic people from my life. If you're not taking care of yourself, going to bar every weekend and still living that party life, I probably don't want to be around you. I spend the better part of my free time at the gym, or doing something that is going to impact me for the better tomorrow. I have no interest in spending my money on bars and partying. That part of my life is long gone. If our interests no longer align, the relationship no longer serves me purpose. Why would I want to be around you if you don't even want to be around you? You don't owe anyone an explanation. Your relationships are yours to dictate when they begin and end. That's mean? No, that's life. It's YOUR life. You get to choose. "You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with" -Jim Rohn. MAKE IT COUNT.
6. Complain less. When Jake and I talked about my attitude, I had then realized how much I was complaining about work, people and God knows what else. Its sooooo negative and complaining seriously only makes it worse. It's like a scab you keep picking at. Just leave it alone.
7. Getting my 8 hours and drinking more water. As I continue my health journey everyday, I think I have come to the realization that you have to focus on the small stuff. Its one thing to go to the gym 5 nights a week and eating healthy all the time but sometimes we forget the most important thing we can do for ourselves and that’s focus on the small, basic things like getting a full nights rest and drinking a lot of water. Whenever I “fall off the bandwagon”, I just start drinking lots of water and get myself into bed earlier and that usually kick starts my motivation again!
8. Decorate for fall and pull the sweaters out. I've already done this, but I know there is more in garage. I love decorating and it makes me feel good filling my home with warmer colors, softer fabrics and cozy smells. If I must spend the majority of my time inside, I want it to be as cozy as possible! It does so much for my mood to have a well decorated home during these fun season changes. It doesn't need to be expensive either. I got my string leaves and most of my pumpkins at the dollar store or Michaels!
There is something so satisfying about pulling out the chunky cable knits, scarves and Uggs. Yeah, I still wear Uggs, till my damn dying day! It just puts you in the mood to take on colder weather. Bring it, Minnesota. JK don't. 50-60 is good enough for me.
9. Go to the Haunted House and the Pumpkin Patch. I love doing this stuff but I know a lot of you tough guys/gals think its lame. Take advantage of this time of the year and embrace it instead of boycotting it. Yeah, it’s packed and there are lines. So what. Just frickin go.
10. Read more books. It's getting nippy out so I am getting more prepared to spend more time inside. I have books all over my apartment, literally everywhere you turn. I've picked out 5 I want to read over the next 2 months! Less TV, more books!
11. Make a chore list for the fall. I just recently wrote this up on our chalkboard in the kitchen. I think I will do this across the seasons. It keeps me off the couch longer and my apartment cleaner. I remind Jake the time we take to do deep cleaning now will make the time cleaning to move out a lot easier.
12. Continuing my vegetarian/ vegan eating. I am so enjoying this. I love everything about it. I feel SO much better. We are up to the vegetarian/vegan eating 4 days a week. I don’t get weird tummy aches anymore and have a lot more energy. I love discovering new recipes that I love that impact my body and the earth.
13. Filter through emails, text messages, apps and photos. Why does this make me feel so good? I don’t know, but it does. Over the last few days I’ve filtered/ unsubscribed through so many emails, deleted literally 30 apps off my phone, over 200 photos and like 40 text boxes. I feel so clean. I don’t know if this correlates but knowing that I’ve gotten rid of so much off my phone and computer makes me want to go on it a lot less. I love a good clean out on just about anything, y ’all know I hate junk!
14. Call or text mom/dad or whoever to say goodnight. Over the last few days, I’ve been sending quick text messages out to my parents and my brother and sister saying goodnight and that I love them. It makes me feel really good to reach out and say something meaningful to the people I love. I know they are probably caught off guard, but I’m sure it makes them feel really good too. We are not promised tomorrow and God forbid something were to ever happen.
15. Be more kind in every single aspect of life.
To myself. Say nicer things about yourself. Out loud and in your head. I can be the most negative person to my self sometimes but shaming my body or the way I look. I am constantly comparing myself to others and it just has to stop.
To my parents. My parents drive me nuts, but they do a lot more for me then I like to recognize.
To people you don’t know! Compliment their shirt, tell the barista to have the best day ever, hold the door open for 10 people in a row.
To the earth. Please, stop fucking littering. Recycle your cardboard. Don’t be a shithead. The world is literally up in flames right now and the last thing it needs is your Cheeto bag on the side of the highway.
16. Fall baking! took some time off baking but the colder weather is giving me the itch again. I plan to do a lot of vegan recipes, I find that these are the best as far as nutrition. I am anxious to see what kind of pumpkin apple maple bullshit madness I can get into this year!
I hope you enjoyed this little intro into fall and are ready to take it easy this coming season! Chat soon!